The other (other) white meat

by Kathi D on August 9, 2009

Now that I am evidently going to be treated to a ready supply of these, delivered right inside the house to boot, I need some recipes.

Anyone? Anyone?

I'm sorry that you now have to poke your eyes out with a salad fork to erase this image from your brain. At least you didn't have to see it in person.

{ 13 comments }

Busty LaRue August 9, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Eww gross! I am sorry your babies feel like they need to give you presents like these. It’s times like this when I am glad that my baby only likes to give me rolled up pillbugs! At least they are easily disposed of :)
Busty LaRue´s last blog ..A moment My ComLuv Profile

jen duncan August 9, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Holy crap. On a spit over the garbage fire in the backyard is all’s I can think up.
jen duncan´s last blog ..August 7 My ComLuv Profile

Sandi August 9, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Hey, it looks just like the guys in my backyard, the ones who we’ve (maybe) finally stopped from eating from the bird feeder. I call them by name… and their name is “tastes like chicken.”

I believe they make good stew.
Sandi´s last blog ..New Look My ComLuv Profile

alison @ cluck and tweet August 9, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Really? Our cat caught one of these and left it for our Great Dane to have her way with. I found her outside, enjoying herself immensely, with just the tail end hanging out of her mouth. Your squirrel isn’t even slimy. I think it’s just sleeping.
alison @ cluck and tweet´s last blog ..I’m baaaaaack! My ComLuv Profile

omawarisan August 10, 2009 at 3:51 am

I don’t know why eating squirrels makes jerky come to mind.
omawarisan´s last blog ..Cowboy Hats: A new policy of my administration My ComLuv Profile

Ken August 10, 2009 at 8:04 am

Thankfully our baby hasn’t brought any of these in yet, although it might not be for lack of trying. In our fenced yard she has free reign. When taking walks, she’ll run out to the end of her leash chasing squirrels and chipmunks. At 14wks, she hasn’t yet had her rabies vaccination so I’m a little cautious about what she chases.

Guess I look forward to Squirrel Pancit, Squirrel Adobo, and other fine Squirrel delicacies in another couple months?
Ken´s last blog ..Notes on Walking with Kiyomi My ComLuv Profile

Ken August 10, 2009 at 8:25 am

Apparently there’s a Malawi recipe we could tailor for making kabobs from them:
Ken´s last blog ..Notes on Walking with Kiyomi My ComLuv Profile

bob August 10, 2009 at 10:02 am

squirrels are tough to skin and the meat is stringy, like cat meat, but six to eight hours in a slow cooker should do it. roll the pieces in flour with salt and pepper, put on bottom of crock, add a can of beef broth, maybe some vegetables if you can find any, and dinner is ready. enjoy.

Chez August 10, 2009 at 10:11 am

I’d have a luau with it.

Make a big ass fire in a hole in the back yard & let burn down to coals.

Singe the fur off the critter with a blow torch, gut it, rub some seasoning & wrap in wet banana leaves & bury in coals in the ground with some veges wrapped in foil.
Light tiki torches, don grass skirts, then dance & drink for about 6 hours, dig up and Bon Appétit !

JuliaB August 10, 2009 at 1:01 pm

Isn’t that the squirrel who was trying to kill you a while back? I guess the dogs were just trying to protect you. x

Nicki Parker August 12, 2009 at 10:15 am

I vote for squirrel nuggets (you can tell I feed 5 grandkids quite often)
I’m a firm believer in this theory: You can take anything in the world, cut it into pieces, dip in batter, deep fry it, and serve with a side of ranch and it will be DELICIOUS!!

ANYTHING + BATTER + DEEP FRY + RANCH = EDIBLE!
Nicki Parker´s last blog ..recycling at "Cousin Craft Camp" My ComLuv Profile

Ken August 12, 2009 at 10:25 am

I totally forgot about battering and deep-frying them! So far Nicki gets my vote for her squirrel nuggets. Anything tastes better deep-fried!
Ken´s last blog ..Still using my Nokia N810 WiMAX in Washington, DC My ComLuv Profile

edj August 16, 2009 at 1:43 pm

How sweet! Now you don’t have to go shopping!
edj´s last blog ..Where in the world have you been? My ComLuv Profile

Comments on this entry are closed.

UA-3572052